Wednesday, March 2

Step It Up

 Training
Tough cycle on Saturday, finished up with 135km under the belt and the legs were sore (aswell as the back, arms, ass, etc).  Got a puncture after 10km and hoped it wasn't a prelude of things to come, plus the only tube I had in the saddle bag was punctured too; had to borrow a tube from one of my cycling colleagues, which I must remember to replace on the next spin (note to self).  Fortunately, that was the only puncture of the day between the three of us on the outing.

I finished the last 40km alone, from just before Manor Kilbride to Sally Gap and descended to civilisation via Stocking Lane.  My chain came off approaching Manor Kilbride, which I combined with a nature break which left me a few mins behind the other two, who to my immediate amazement trudged on without waiting or showing any concern for my safety or whereabouts.  I suppose in hindsight I did have a phone which could have been used to contact them had I another puncture and no tubes, which would have been exactly the scenario in which I would have found myself.  In their defence, they had deadlines to meet, and their better halves probably have them pussy whipped so what can you do.  No drama.

I was rewarded for my efforts by my girlfriend with a nice fillet steak on Saturday evening at the local steakhouse, which is great value and does produce a mean lean fillet.  Of course I couldn't leave without my favourite desert (cheescake) before trudging home sliently chastising myself by humming the oompa loompa melody, and I didn't feel one bit guilty.  Thirty mins later and I was snoring my head off in le chambre.

Sunday morning, I rose early with the best intentions of joining the ThinBike.ie spin, however, thirty mins on the couch and heightening pains from the previous day's exertions gave me fair warning that I was not up to a 60km spin; a warning which I heeded thankfully, and watched the UFC I had recorded the previous night/early morning.  Next came Murphy's Law, Sod's Law, or whatever that law is, irony at any rate.  I decided to do a short 20km spin up the mountain as my Sunday solo, and before which I would take a trip to Thinkbike for a few tubes as I had none.  My initial thoughts were 'let's hope I dont get a puncture on the way there', but its only 3-4km from where I live so what are the chances.  Just in case I took the tube which had a slow puncture from the previous day from the bin and stuffed it into my jacket, anticipating it would last a couple of km, but sure I'd never need it anyway.  Wrong, 2km in to my short trip for tubes I approached what car's recognise as potholes, and cyclists would recognise as craters.  A late bunny hop to jump the hollow saw my front wheel easily clear the gap, but my back wheel landed exactly on the rim of the crater, three seconds later the rear wheel was as flat as a pancake.  Typical, go shopping for tubes and get a puncture on your way there.

I managed a sedate 25km on Sunday after everything and was tired right up until Tuesday evening.  This morning (Wednesday) I hit the gym at 6am and will replicate those efforts tomorrow morning and Friday morning also.  Saturday and Sunday will again see the bike brought to the fore.  Toying with the idea of tackling Shay Elliott & Slieve Mann, weather dependent of course.  Need to reduce my tendency to munch chocolate, three bars today, what am I playing at.  The harder I train the more I seem to think I can stuff my face with garbage, diet needs to be more strict from here on in.


 Sports Betting
Tyrur Domingo won his heat and is now 12/1 (from 20/1) to win the Tote Gold cup.  Allowdale Prince came third in his heat and is now (10/1) to lift the trophy.  Tyrur Carey was eliminated, after a bump at trap rise and losing interest after first bend traffic.  There are four heats on Saturday evening which I will review between now and then.

A winning football treble was selected on Tuesday evening, Exeter (both teams to score), Cheltenham (over 2.5), and Portsmouth (home win).  The plan was to bet it on the way home or when I got home bet it online.  Nope, went to the pub with the girlfriend  on the way home and forgot clean all about it. 
In future, instead of putting up a shortlist, which isn't a fair reflection of my choices as some of these I eliminate, I will list my actual bets, in a points format.  Each bet shall have between 0.5 and 5pts associated to it, higher points representing stronger opinions and/or better value inherent in the selection at a particular price.  The strategy will be less volatile than February's shortlisting, and will provide for longer term progressive returns, and not trying to build Rome in a day.  Season to date, showing an ROI of +37%, which I am hoping to improve upon.

I am in the position whereby I may be setting up a new online business with a colleague, a decision which will be finalised as yay or nay in the next seven days.  I have a few figures to review and analyse in order to reach the yay or nay decision, after testing the idea for the last 6 months.  At first glance, the total results are positive, not world beating but further delving into the numbers will reveal how much potential can be harnessed with some tweaking in key areas.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment