Sunday, March 6

Long Weekend

 Training
Long weekend on the bike but necessary all the same.  Six and half hours on Saturday (yesterday) saw me reach the other side of Slieve Mann, via Shay Elliott and Sally Gap, retracing my route on the return leg.  Only 120km on the clock but 2,200m of climbing proved to be a recognisable improvement on the previous weeks 135km & 1800m climbing.  Route Here

The last 40km as usual was the most mundane section, but that's always the case, especially on the cold dreary days when the mist has settled on the mountains and you are cycling through a cloud.  I needed lights on my first pass of Sally Gap, but on the return the mist had lifted somewhat but was replaced by a cold breeze which turned my feet in to blocks of ice.  Six and a half hours is a long ride on your lonesome, thankfully I had decided to take my ipod which spurred me during the up tempo songs and broke the monotony on the long straights and seemingly endless countryside.  The weather makes such a  difference to the interpretation of the Wicklow wilderness.  I had also toyed with the idea of adding two laps of Wicklow Gap to the route but reckoned I was biting off more than I could chew at this stage of the year so refrained, and glad I did.

I wasn't long home before deciding not to cook for one, her beautiful self having travelled to her homeland for the weekend, and again visited the local steakhouse for my dinner (and starter and dessert).  I earned those calories so I was gonna enjoy them properly.  Good day all round.

I rose Sunday to take part in the ThinkBike spin, a mere 65km spin to Sally Gap via Djouce & Luggala.  The previous week I didn't feel up to the second Sunday spin of climbing, but this week I felt much stronger and tagged along.  I sat at the back for most if not all of the journey matching pace with the slower members of the group, which suited me fine.  To be honest, I'm not sure if I could have gone any faster if I tried, after Saturday's exertions.  By completing 65km on Sunday it clearly demonstrated an improvement in my endurance, recovery, and overall strength which is satisfying.  My ass hates me, or at least hates cycling, having spent over ten hours of the weekend sat upon what now feels like a razor blade (even though it is a comfortable enough saddle in its own right).

Current weight 13st 7.5 lbs, down from a starting weight of 14st 0.25lb.
Target weight for La Marmotte is 12st 7-10lb.

 Sports Betting
Sunday's soccer -3pts

I did have a Sunday TV double on Liverpool/Man Utd & Wolves/Spurs games which I hadn't posted, more for an interest when watching the games more than anything else but they were viable wagers nonetheless.  Both to Score double paid 2/1.  It looked a non event until Hernandez popped up in the 91st minute to score for Man U, to save my bacon in the first game.  I didn't have long to wait in the second fixture before collecting, it was 2-2 by half time, finishing 3-3.

There are midweek fixtures on Tuesday which will receive my attention between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment