Thursday, March 17

Cheltenham continued

In Greek mythology the Sphinx baffled travellers with her unanswerable riddle – eventually it was solved by Oedipus and the Sphinx had to commit suicide. Had she instead asked travellers to name a winner of any of the 20 runner handicaps at Cheltenham she may still be alive today.

From the time Oscar's Well clattered the last hurdle, on day two, while in contention for at least a place, my selections have been cursed ever since, and curse was exactly what I did, sitting at work, headphones on, excel on one screen and RTE player on the other.  The whole office were no doubt enlightened to hear the "ohaaaw, Fuck ya" I bellowed as he hit the final obstacle. 

Day three, my only bet was a double on Poquelin & Big Bucks, and not even I can stop the mighty Big Bucks from winning his third World Hurdle in as many years.

Tomorrow my only bet will be in the Gold Cup, I have decided the poor unfortunate equine chaser that will fall victim to my betting curse shall be "Long Run", I apologise to all connections in advance for placing the stoppers on him.

Training
Today I managed a short two and a half hours on the bike, which consisted of a few loops of Edmonston Rd/Stocking Lane.  After last week when I reached the initial climb and felt lifeless, it was a pleasant reversal of form to feel quite good after a week's rest.  The legs were strong and I kept the gear ratio higher than normal in order to build the required strength in the legs.  A short 45km in total, but more intensive climbing than average.

The weather shall decide my direction and distance tomorrow, currently contemplating visiting Slieve Mann for the second time this season.  I think we shall become good friends between now and the first Saturday in July when the Alps come to the fore, and crucify thousands of  (select your own word) brave/mad/idiotic cyclists on their mission to scale four of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment