Friday, February 25

Back to the grindstone

Training
After spending last weekend drinking Friday, Saturday, Sunday and a couple of quiet ones on Monday, I can categorically state the training took a few steps in the wrong direction.  Tuesday, I was back to work to make an honest living, it also proved to be the tail end of the dreaded drink downer, and the culmination of a guilty conscience; and feeling like Augustus Gloop from Willly Wonka and his infamous chocolate factory.

6am came early on Wednesday morning, after a quick breakfast I adorned the multicoloured and partially illuminous cycling gear laid out in wait from the previous night.  After glancing through the window it was obviously wet, but I wouldn't dare venture anywhere near the balcony for a real taste of temperature.  The last thing I wanted was another reason to go back to bed, which I was contemplating should truth be told. 

Thirty minutes later I was en route to Edmonston Rd and panting like a dying dog climbing to the viewing point.  It was surprisingly warm and the first taste of spring weather which I revelled in, along with a few stimulating tunes on my ipod (low volume of course).  As I climbed, the sun rose and my lights which where initially essential for guidance were merely flashing at oncoming traffic to make them aware of my presence as I reached the peak, the day was born.  A quick descent home, washed the bike and off to work feeling a lot better and content.

Thursday morning was an exact replica, another 20km+ to Viewing point via Edmonston Rd.  I shall add 150km to that tomorrow, my longest session of the season to date.  Route here.  Good news is, I will have company, two guys also attempting the Marmotte this year, its their route not mine.  1600m of climbing and around 7 hours in the saddle should burn a few calories no doubt.

Sunday I am planning on heading out with ThinkBike.ie, 60km route as a recovery, that's recovery as in wearing out the last of my legs until the following weekend.

Sports Betting
Soccer handed me my ass for February and it really pissed me off having so many nearly bets for 1-2k.  It still irks me as I write so I will be refraining from venturing a bet this weekend on any soccer games.  I shall still list a few potential predictions for tomorrow (Saturday) should anyone wish to further analyse the merits of their case.

Both Teams to Score
Bury v Crewe,  Accrington v Torquay, Brentford v Bristol Rovers, Oxford v Hereford, Barnet v Lincoln, Hoffenheim v Mainz

Greyhound racing, the Tote Gold Cup begins tomorrow evening (Saturday) at Shelbourne park and should prove to be a good night's racing.  Their are joint ante post favourites in the form of Bling Bling Buzz & Razldazl George both quoted at 8/1.  Full market here.  Both are pacey greyhounds in their own right but at 8/1 there is better value elsewhere.  Bling Bling Buzz has never raced competitively around Shelbourne and if he doesn't take to the track he'll be heading back to kennels tomorrow evening with the proverbial tail between his legs.  If he does take to Shelbourne (which I think he might) he will prove difficult to beat in Heat 2, at 9.00pm.
Razldazl George has undoubted ability and will progress to be top class greyhound should he avoid any injury woes, but with only 4 races under his belt it is asking quite a lot to take down a tournament of this quality so early in his career, especially at odds of 8/1.  My 3 fancies for tomorrow nights heats are as follows.

Heat 4 - Trap 2 :  Tyrur Carey
There could be some bumping early doors in this race as trap 5, Slippery Bob, prefers the rails and should venture towards trap four shortly after trap rise, potentially hampering both their chances of success.  Meanwhile, 1&2 can lead up on the inner, with two taking charge down the back straight and should prove hard to peg back should this be the case.  Tyur is lightly raced, but has an abundance of trials and this kennel's young dogs are always well schooled pre racing.

Heat 5 - Trap 5 : Allowdale Prince
This dog has won his last two races around the track and is in good form, and will certainly not be in need of the run.  Fast up, good back straight pace and cuts the third bend hard from outside to inside, he will be short priced and difficult to peg back with his usual smart pace to the corner and take charge from there, also not a lot of early pace from dogs on his immediate left.  The danger may lie with the two dog, Moe's Tavern, who also has some decent early pace.  His latest line of form can be ignored as he was wrote off during first bend trouble, but is rising in grade from A2, albeit he did romp home in the lower ranks.  With a little luck I would expect Allowdale to be a potential candidate for overall glory, currently priced at 12/1 to lift the trophy.

Heat 6 - Trap 1 : Tyrur Domingo
Lots of pace, likes the inside but not the sharpest when considering track craft, a little like a Ferrari without a steering wheel.  3&6 are potential threats to preventing glory for Tyrur, however, I would expect him to lead round or alongside the others and use the inside line to gain a length or two before entering the back straight where he can open up and take charge.   That's the plan at any rate, there is also some value in his ante post price of 20/1.



No comments:

Post a Comment