Thursday, February 10

Another Day, Another.......

Training
Put in another evening on the bike and another evening in the gym. Was heading towards Edmonston Rd again (where else would I be headed), with five lights and a high vis jacket as per usual, I'm all for the Christmas tree effect.  Better safe and blinding drivers than being knocked over by blind drivers.  The plan was to scale up the heights of the Viewing Point and descend Stocking Lane, returning home.  About an hour cycle and approx 20km and a few hundred metres climbing.

About half way up the hill I noticed a blinking red light up ahead, another cyclist was the obvious first thought and I was correct.  However, as I got closer the person was walking with their bike, a young woman, mid twenties.  She waved at me as I was approaching. "Hi, I'm looking for Ballinteer", she says, "think I might have taken a wrong turn".  No fucking shit you took a wrong turn I thought, you are heading up the mountain to pitch black wilderness, are you fucking stupid?  When I opened my mouth to speak my thoughts softened to "Christ, Ballinteer, you're going the wrong direction".
"Oh, can I keep going this way and turn off up ahead or is it just another hill?".
"The last place you want to be heading at this time of night is further up this hill."  I'm not one for generalisations but she was blond, just a fact I'm pointing out.

She informed me what part of Ballinteer she was looking for, I input the address in to the Garmin and gave her directions to return down the hill and take a right at the Roundabout (where there are lights and people around).  It's really silly things like this that's ends up with people going missing and nobody hearing from them ever again, wandering around the middle of nowhere like a sheep blindfolded with a flashing red light attached.  Her front light had died so I offered her spare batteries which I carry with me, unfortunately it was a USB charger that powered her dead Cat-eye.

I continued on for another km or so, and then got this real eerie feeling from my surroundings, not sure why nor what it was.  I have been up that road many times, day and night and never had much bother, but history has proven that it is good to follow my instincts.  I immediately turned around and retraced my route descending Edmonston Rd, deciding to finish the remainder of the hour cycle on the level roads below.  I also thought I could guide the lost lady to the plains below as she had no front light, probably something I should have offered initially, but there was no sign of anyone.  She must have had no problems finding her way back to civilisation thankfully.  I reached home 1 hour, 23km and one good deed later, happy with getting another midweek session in.  Planning on one more trip to the gym and two days cycling at the weekend.

Sports Betting
The midweek selections sailed in, the accumulator returning 7.5/1, I also added Exeter v Brenford, both to score, from the night before, which buffed it up to a healthy 14/1 winning bet.  Even though Exeter waited until 4 minutes into injury time to convince their fans they have what it takes to hit the onion bag, first minute or last, a goal is a goal.  That bet turned a losing February into a winning February for month to date.
This weekend's selections below:

Both Teams to Score
St Etienne v Lyon, Blackpool v Aston Villa, Juventus v Inter Milan, West Brom v West Ham, Valenciennes v Brest, PSG v Lens.

Accumulator on first 4 selections pays circa 11/2
Accumulator on first 5 selections pays circa 12/1
Accumulator on all 6 selections pays circa 28/1

You can increase that to odds of 183/1 by adding:
Aldershot v Macclesfield, Barnet v Torquay, Charlton v Peterborough, Walsall v Bournemouth.

Home Wins
Arsenal, Lille, MK Dons, Oxford
Accumulator pays circa 15/2

Shelbourne Park - Race 10 - 10.00pm Saturday Night
This is the Joe Dunne Memorial Puppy Final, and with puppy comps anything can happen in a final.  The six dog is favourite, puppy derby winner, and worthy to be favourite but not at skinny odds of 4/5.  This is way too short for me.  On the other hand the dog in trap three, Mutual Decision, is a huge price at 10/1.  He won his semi final and from watching the videos I can see him leading the inside to the first corner and coming off the second bend in front.  He hasn't the fastest pace along the back straight and 2 & 6 will be baring down on him approaching the third bend.  Both 2 & 6 will track out on the back straight as the 3 dog rails and they will have no room on the inside, hopefully 2 & 6 will collide at the third fighting for the same ground leaving 3 with a small lead which he can maintain to the line as he stays on strongly enough. At 10/1 odds I would bet this every day of the week, great value, and worthy of a small bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment